Friday, June 20, 2008

Mango Crab Salad Wonton Cups (baked & healthy!)

Wife's day off!

I was treated to an absolutely wonderful lunch, courtesy of hubby. It's not often that he gets down and dirty in the kitchen, but when he does, I'm not disappointed. These delightful & crunchy cups pack a flavorful punch: wonton skins are baked in mini muffin tins and filled with a delicious salad of crab, mango, celery, wonton and scallions.

Though the original recipe calls for jumbo lump crabmeat, we did a few quick calculations at the grocery. Splurge on yummy looking crab OR fill our empty gas tank with oh, about 3.5 gallons of gas? Next time, we'll make sure not to drive on empty and go with the lump crab meat as we imagine they'd make this already yummy recipe that much better.

The baked Mango Crab Salad Wontons are courtesy of an Ellie Krieger recipe from her new book, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life. While I'd sometimes like to give Ellie a swift slap to wake her out of her monotone voice coma, I really do enjoy her recipes. We've had great success with all the ones we have tried so far, and I hope to post more soon. In the meantime, enjoy & have a wonderful weekend. Thanks, hubby for a delicious lunch

Oh, I suppose I should provide an update as well. Our little vegetarian experiment is over. It all ended with a tofu curry dish that may have sent hubby over the edge (a little tofu overload). It was fun while it lasted! :)

Because this dish relies on mango for a sweet contrast to the crab salad, I'm entering it into Meeta's Monthly Mingle which is Mango Mania this month. Visit What's For Lunch, Honey? for more details.

Mango Crab Salad Wonton Cups
Courtesy of Ellie Krieger

For the Wonton Cups:
Cooking spray
18 wonton wrappers, thawed if frozen
(we used potsticker wrappers)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the dressing:
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the salad:
1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over (we used flaked crab but I suggest trying with lump)
1 stalk celery, finely diced (we omitted the celery)
1/2 cup finely diced mango
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Sweet Chili Sauce (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
Brush the wonton wrappers with oil, and place each wrapper into a section of a mini-muffin tin. Gently press each wrapper into the tin and arrange so that it forms a cup shape. The wrapper will overlap itself and stick up out of the cup. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from the tin and allow wrappers to cool.

Meanwhile whisk together the zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Add the oil and whisk until well combined.

In a medium bowl, toss together the crabmeat, celery, mango, scallion and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to combine. Fill each cup with the crab salad. Top with a dollop of sweet chili sauce if you like!

23 comments:

Mo said...

Sharon these look absolutely awesome! You did a great job with presentation, not to mention the photos. I'm copying the recipe now - my favorite things crab and mango!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These sound like a wonderful summer appetizer!

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard at the veggie-thing being over with the tofu-curry. That's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

What a great appetizer! I have to print this recipe out for my next dinner party. Just wonderful!

Laura said...

It's cool enough he cooks for you, but dainty bite type food? Wow. My husband cooks occasionally, but nothing like that!

Anonymous said...

Oh these sound wonderful... and I think the trade off for gas is probably a wise one ;)
You married a winner, obviously!

Sharon said...

mo - thanks! The mango really makes these.

Lisa - The wontons baked up quickly so it was nice that the house didn't get too hot.

noble pig - I liked the tofu curry. I guess not everyone thought so :)

Chuck - hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you end up making it.

Laura - well, confessions...the cooking happens about 2x's a year :) and I picked this one out.

Kristen - when you put things in perspective with gas these days, its hard to splurge!

MrOrph said...

Welcome back!

Great pix and plating. Those look great. Easy enough, too. Will give this one a try.

RecipeGirl said...

These look terrific. I actually have this cookbook (one of my Costco splurges), and I haven't taken much of a peek at it yet!

Anonymous said...

cute! i like the idea of wonton cups. nice blog.

test it comm said...

Those look so good! I like the sound of a crab and mango salad.

Anonymous said...

Baked? Awesome! That means healthy baked wonton cups can be eaten more! ;)
I love this dish, especially with mango and crab!

La Bella Cooks said...

With the crab, it sounds like a perfect thing for summer. Beautiful photo as well.

Elle said...

These look amazing! The recipe sounds great and your photos are gorgeous!

grace said...

sounds like your husband is a keeper! :)

tofu overload, eh? you held out longer than i could've! :)

Anonymous said...

gorgeous! i've been seeing a lot of really good-looking ellie kreiger recipes lately, i may have to get over my innate mistrust of people who write "healthy" cookbooks.

Erin said...

Ellie is one of my favorite food network personalities and I love her cookbook. These look gorgeous! Perfect for a light summer appetizer. Since we're being so good with the wonton cups does that mean we get to have two or three glasses of Sangria ;)

Emily said...

Glad you had fun with the vegetarian experiment!

I'd like to see you slap Ellie. That would be hilarious. I would take pictures.

These look really good. I could eat a dozen.

Sharon said...

mrorph - it feels great to be eating meat again :)

recipegirl - it's a great cookbook. The recipes are simple but very tasty (at least the ones I've tried so far)

becky - thanks for stopping by!

kevin - its an amazing combo, one I hadn't thought of on my own.

whiteonrice - you're right about that. I admit...we finished the batch :)

bridgett - thanks very much!

Grace - he certainly is :) I guess I pushed him to the limit!

michelle - As I mentioned, Ellie sometimes irritates me a little but her recipes are great.

Erin - of course, there's always room for sangria! or wine! or beer! haha. I think any of those would be good with these.

emiline - I'm 100% sure I could take Ellie in a slap fest. :)

Mo said...

I made this yesterday to use up the leftover lump crab meat from crab cake night. I have to say, I think I'd stick with the fake crab. The celery overpowered the flavor of the fresh crabmeat. It was still very good, but would save the $$ for gas. :)

Sharon said...

Mo, good to know! We actually didn't use celery for that reason and also because we never have any on hand. I should have specified in the recipe! I'll go do that now :)

tigerfish said...

I have so many mangoes right now! Such a great way to use up those mangoes.

Meeta K said...

Oh my these look exquisite. A great way to start a dinner. Thank you for the entry!