Monday, November 24, 2008

Greek Spiced Baked Shrimp with Lemon Orzo & Broccoli

I like to think of myself as trend-aware. Though I'm not necessarily swayed by the latest trends, I at least know of their existence. Remember when those onesie leotard shirts were in style? Yea, I was there.


Well, I must say that I've been absolutely blindsided by the Twilight Series phenomenon. I thought Twilight was a brand new release until I realized there are four other books in the series. Whoops. Wanting to participate in water cooler chatter, I finally bit the dust and started reading the first. I can't say I'm overly impressed or understand the hype quite yet, but it's still early in the book.

Meanwhile, another trend that I am a strong believer in has graced the kitchen yet again. There's something about the combination of feta and shrimp that just does it for me. Sort of like how women everywhere are swooning over Edward Cullen. Yea, just like that.

Paired with lemony broccoli and lemon orzo, I find myself absurdly content: the house smells wonderful, the food in front of me tantalizing, and I am eating shrimp. It doesn't get much better. Some people like sexy vampires, I like shrimp 'n feta.


Cinnamon and allspice add a nice spice to the dish and provide an alternative to the many shrimp and feta recipes floating around the internet and my own blog.

I decided to pair the shrimp with a side of steamed broccoli, tossed in lemon juice and garlic. Already having lemons out, I also tossed the orzo in a mixture of olive oil, lemon and pepper. Since the sauce from the shrimp is very flavorful, the lemony taste serves only as an accent and doesn't overpower the meal.

Good luck with all your Thanksgiving preparations! I spent my usually lazy Sunday ironing linens and vacuuming. I hope the remainder of my prep work is a little more stimulating :)

This is my entry into Ruth's Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Daphne this week.

Greek Spiced Baked Shrimp with Lemon Orzo
Adapted from Gourmet & Martha Stewart


Shrimp:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil
Pinch of sugar
1 1/4 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
salt & pepper
2/3 cup crumbled feta
2 tablespoons chopped dill

Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.

Cook onion and garlic in oil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes with juice and sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Season shrimp with Old Bay, dash of salt & pepper, then stir into tomato sauce. Transfer to a 2-quart shallow baking dish and top with feta. Bake until just cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve sprinkled with dill.

Orzo:
1 lemon
1 cup uncooked orzo
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
salt & pepper

Peel a few long strips of lemon peel; thinly slice peel. Squeeze 2 tablespoons juice; set aside.

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and lemon peel. Cook until orzo is al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot.

Add lemon juice, oil, and scallions to orzo. Toss and season with salt and pepper; Serve with shrimp.

36 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I prefer shrimp and feta over sexy vampires also. Happy Thanksgiving!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

BROCCOLI!!! :-D

Esi said...

Everything about this dish is amazing! I still haven't gotten into Twilight, but it took me YEARS to catch up on the Harry Potter mania so I expect I will be the same with Twilight.

Snooky doodle said...

wow what nice dishes you prepared. very colourful too

Mo said...

Oh, I love me some shrimp n'feta. Good luck with your Thanksgiving preparations. I am spending my Monday polishing wine glasses and silverware, while the table cloth is being washed. I actually enjoy all the prep. :) Makes me feel "grown up."

The Blonde Duck said...

I've tried really hard to be nice, but I'm soooo sick of Twilight.

kat said...

That meal certainly sounds good. I too have not gotten into the whole Twilight thing

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

What a fantastic meal. Both of my girls are into the Twilight series and were front and center for the premier.

Unknown said...

wow look at the colors! plus...very healthy! well done!

Dewi said...

What a vibrant color, I am sure that taste delicious.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

My kind of meal, complete, colorful and delicious!

Maria said...

Now this is a trend that just might stick with me for good! This dish looks amazing!! Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

grace said...

i stubbornly refuse to hop aboard the twilight train. i'm also still resisting harry potter. :) something i can't resist is the fabulousness of greek spices. nice concoction. :)

Zesty Cook said...

WOW - great food. The broccoli looks superb. Great Job

Thanks for sharing
zesty

Andrea said...

This looks so good! I love feta so so so so much and the fiance loves shrimp so it's quite possibly a match made in heaven!

Pam said...

This is my kind of meal. I love feta with anything - it's my favorite cheese.

That Girl said...

I never got the appeal of Twilight. Halfway through the book I got so annoyed that several friends told me to quit reading. I knew I'd have to finish the book, but I was strongly advised given my hostile feelings not to read the rest of the series.

vanillasugarblog said...

I need to get on the feta & shrimp bandwagon too. Peter is always making something with feta and I love that.
Yes, this does look really tasty.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of flavor here!

daphne said...

oh yum!! What a great looking dish. anything with shrimps!!

AS it has pasta in it...perhaps you would like to consider it entering it in this week's Presto Pasta Nights that I'm hosting? =)

Bunny said...

Sharon this looks wonderful,I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Maris said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. . . Broccoli is my favoite vegetable and your shrimp and orzo sounds delicious...healthy too!

Jenny said...

Yum, I've got a pack of orzo in the pantry I'll have to use for your recipe. Looks great!

MaryBeth said...

Looks like a wonderful supper.

Ruth Daniels said...

Shrimp with anything has me drooling. This version is particularly mouth-watering. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Night.

MrOrph said...

I like the pairing of shrimp and feta as well.

I like vampires. I am watching Trueblood now and it's okay. I grew up with Barnabus Collins and all the Dracula movies. I even like the updated ones; Blade, Underworld, etc. But this Twighlight phenomenon....i dunno.

alexandra's kitchen said...

Yes, what is it about shrimp and feta? I think your blood is a little bit Greek! This is such a meal my mother (Greek) would love, especially the way you prepared the broccoli. This looks like a delicious and healthy meal.

Now, on to that apple butter I spy. I have been dying to make homemade apple butter!

tigerfish said...

What a nice complete meal :)

Sophie said...

I've never had feta with shrimp! I really like how it seems like a summery dish but you warmed it up with cinnamon :). I am being tempted more and more each day to read the Twilight books! I told myself I wouldn't see the movie until I've read the book because the books are always better :P!

Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

test it comm said...

Baked shrimp with a tomato and feat sauce work surprisingly well together!

Garrett said...

I still haven't caught on to this whole Twilight thing. I think I'm just old for my age. Then again, I hadn't heard of shrimp and feta until just now, so maybe I'm just out of it. Definitely sounds like an interesting taste, though.

Anonymous said...

Forget the sexy vamps, I'll take your shrimp and feta.

Pearl said...

that looks beautiful!

Unknown said...

That looks delicious. I am going to have to try that recipe. As far as Twilight goes - I became a fan before I'd even heard that it had such a huge following. I read the first 3 books in 4 doors. I have finished the complete series now (even the unfinished novel) and wish that there was more.

Peter M said...

This is a wonderful version of Shrimp Giouvetsi and I'd certainly chow down on this!

Rebekah said...

Yummmmmmmmy. Just found ya and I heart your blog!