Thursday, January 29, 2009
Chicken Pastry Bundles with Red Pepper and Cream Cheese
OK. I've done it. Following the good example of many of you do-gooders out there, I've decided to return to tracking my *many* eats. I'm a completely excessive snacker, and somehow have the appetite of a 300lb man who hasn't been fed in days. Thankfully, nature has been kind to me and I'm merely a 300lb man stuck in a woman's body, but don't look like it! :) Eating 3 granola bars a day isn't the worst thing you could do to your body but probably not the best, either. I tend to eat and forget exactly how much I consume when I'm hungry, stressed, and at work.
In any case, from here on out I'll be writing down what I eat. Hopefully I'll now eat 9 pieces of candy as opposed to 10. :)
Prior to my food journal days, I ate copious amounts of this tasty dish, courtesy of hubby's Man Food Mondays. For those of you new to the game, hubby has graciously offered to cook us dinner on Mondays and I must say he's gone from not cooking to a total chef. I may have competition here, folks! It's been awhile since my last MFM post but that's out of my own sheer laziness, not his. Oh, and it's not Monday, but work with me here.
We're not sure where this recipe came from, though it's one of the first meals that my boyfriend-now-husband cooked for me. Diced chicken is mixed with a cream cheese and dill mixture along with sauteed red pepper and onion. The delightful result is wrapped with crescent dough, then dunked in a bath of breading before baking to a golden crisp. Sound like a lot of calories? Well, it may be, but it's worth it! Try using reduced fat crescent dough and/or cream cheese if you're worried. I've given it a fancy name, but really we just call them Chicken Pockets!
Chicken Pastry Bundles with Red Pepper and Cream Cheese aka "Chicken Pockets" in our house
2 tablespoons of diced onion
1/2 cup diced red pepper
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
3 oz of cream cheese softened at room temp
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dill (to taste)
2 tablespoons of milk
3 tablespoons of melted butter
Italian bread crumbs
2 tubes of crescent roll dough
1. In a pat of butter, saute diced red pepper and onion in a pat of butter. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
2. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese, dill, onion, red pepper, and milk.
3. Roll out crescent rolls. Take two sections and press edges together to form a rectangle. Place 1/3 cup filling onto dough; wrap mixture with dough & seal the corners with warm water.
3. Dunk pocket into melted butter and then in Italian breadcrumbs.
4. Place on sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until golden brown.