Sunday, May 31, 2009

No Steak Today, just Feta and Herb Stuffed Shrimp

Are there any foods in this world that you wished you loved? For me, it has to be steak. I've seen enough people enjoy steak to know it should be a good thing. For someone who's an ardent lover of food, it seems almost a shame not to be able to enjoy a nice, juicy filet. Honestly, if you gave me the choice between a Ruth's Chris steak and a greasy cheeseburger from McDonald's, I think I'd pick the burger. There's just something about the texture....

Hmm, well I hope you haven't left in disgust.

I tell you this sad steak tale because I have yet another seafood centric treat today. I know, shrimp...again?! :)


Well, these are special shrimp because not only do they include my favorite cheeses (does cream cheese count as a real cheese?), but they're also a trial run for hubby's upcoming graduation party.

Jumbo shrimp are stuffed with a yummy mixture of garlic, green onions, cream cheese and feta cheese. Pop them in the oven and they're ready to go in a few short minutes. Fancy, but fast & easy? I like it.

Thanks to those of you who've forwarded me your favorite party foods. There are so many yummy ideas! If you haven't sent them in, forward me your recipes and photos to newlywedcook at gmail dot com. There's something exciting in store for you if I make your dish!

Feta and Herb Stuffed Shrimp
Adapted from Small Plates: Appetizers As Meals

4 oz crumbled feta cheese (I used reduced fat)
4oz cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat parsley
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
dash of Worcestershire sauce
dash of paprika
20 -24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

In a small bowl, combine the feta cheese, cream cheese, parsley, green onion, garlic, spices. Add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce. Combine thoroughly.

Cut shrimp along the back to butterfly the shrimp. Spread shrimp open and place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture in the shrimp. Place shrimp on baking sheet , cheese side up. This gets tricky so try and flatten the shrimp down as much as possible to prevent the cheese from falling out.

Preheat the oven broiler and broil the shrimp 6 inches from the heat, until cheese is bubbly and shrimp is pink, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle lightly with paprika.

36 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

what an interesting recipe. they look delicious :)

foodcreate said...

I love shrimp! I'm going to make this delicious recipe tonight:)
~Thanks for sharing~


~Thanks for visiting foodcreate:)

Thymes of Change said...

I absolutely LOVE shrimp and can't wait to try out this recipe! Thanks for a great new idea!

Rebeca said...

I kinda hate Worcestershire sauce because...

I can't say it to save my life lol

But seriously creamy cheese and shrimp it sounds fab, but your food always does!

Chef Fresco said...

Yum, stuffed shrimp! We love cooking with shrimp too - and just bought 6 lbs. of frozen shrimp at the store b/c it was on major sale. We'll probably be posting a lot of similar recipes in the near future :)

Esi said...

Can I come to the party?

Christina Kim said...

I've always been puzzled by stuffed shrimp because they aren't particularly "stuffable." Regardless, yours look and sound very tasty!!

Leslie said...

oh noooo, no steak. I sorry! :(
But I will take some of your shrimp please.

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I am going to have to try it this week. Your blog is great and I look forward to reading more!

chow and chatter said...

looks lovely what a cute idea for a blog

Bunny said...

It's ok Sharon you don't have to like steak if you don't want to, I don't like liver...and nobody could make me either!! LOL!!The shrimp looks so good!! Excellent for a graduation party!

Big Shamu said...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shrimp or lobster again...at least not in my world. Add cheese? Yes please.

Dewi said...

Sounds good to me Sharon!

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious! I definitely think cream cheese should be considered a real cheese...I love it. Mmmmm...

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Gimme the choice between steak and shrimp and I'll choose the second hands down. And now had feta and I'm totally sold! This will be a hit at the party!

grace said...

what a classy nosh, sharon. who needs steak? :)

Erica said...

The shrimp look awesome! I much prefer shrimp to steak...I'm just not a steak person! I make Josh steak almost once a week, his own piece...and I have something else ;)

Fearless Kitchen said...

This is a really interesting recipe! I'd bet it tastes fantastic.

kat said...

Yummy!

Elyse said...

Cream cheese definitely counts as real cheese :) Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I don't really like steak that much either (although I have been known to eat a filet...I know, snobby). This shrimp dish looks awesome, though! I love the combo of feta and cream cheese and, of course, garlic! Delish

BrittWilk said...

mmm... cream cheese and feta. a favorite combination. my greatest pregnancy woe is that i'm not supposed to eat feta or bleu cheese (dressing). boo. this looks just like something i love to stuff chicken with... plus spinach of course! so yummy, sharon!

pigpigscorner said...

A perfect finger food. Sounds amazing.

Maria said...

Love what you did with the shrimp!

Melissa said...

That does sound great. And hey, I'm a Texan that rarely eats BEEF!!! and would rather eat smoked BBQ turkey than brisket. This is criminal in the Lone Star State!

Oh gee! I totally forgot to send you a party recipe. Sorry! I had a teething baby and am sleep deprived!

I have some thoughts...hope its not too late.

La Bella Cooks said...

These sound so delicious! I love shrimp and with the cheese stuffing, these must taste heavenly. No harm in not loving steak, but try it paired with something like these shrimp!

Kerstin said...

I love feta and shrimp together - they look fantastic!

Emily said...

Mmm I don't know how these shrimp couldn't be amazing.

I don't eat much steak myself, not that there's anything wrong with it. I just enjoy eating more vegetables and chicken.

Jeff said...

I have a similar viewpoint about steak. It is ok but nothing I drool over while staring at the meat counter. Now that ox tail or thick cut pork chops drooolllll......

Now these shrimp on the other hand I am drooling over.

Oh yeah I have to forward you my favorite party food.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks great. What a fun and unique combo! Cannot wait to try this one!

test it comm said...

This is the first time that I have seen a stuffed shrimp! They look great!

Cate O'Malley said...

Oh man do those sound good! I'm all about fast and easy appetizers that taste like you spent all day making them. Adding these to my to-try pile!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Oh my that could be a hit at the graduation party. My son loves shrimps so I should make this for him.

Stacey said...

That is funny about the steak, I was the same way until a couple years ago. I don't know what changed I just started loving steak like crazy! Totally out of the blue!

Your feta stuffed shrimp looks ridiculously yummy!

Laura said...

That's hysterical given how I feel about shrimp. I LOVE steak. But I do know how you feel, given my feelings about shrimp. :)

nora@ffr said...

ye recipes just look heavenly delicious.. enjoyed ye blog very much.. vat a lovely and amazing blog you have.. keep it up!!
cheers!!

BrieForShort said...

Made it last night, and it rocked! I also implemented a trick I learned in a sushi class. For tempura they make tiny cuts perpendicular to the vein the entire length of the shrimps underside to stop them from curling. It seemed to work here too! The curling was minimal. Thanks for the inspiration!