Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chipotle Chicken Tostada Cups

Hi World! It's me, the blog deserter. Y'all still there? :)

chicken tostada cups
Shortly after catching my breath following hubby's graduation bash, I realized that doom and gloom was lurking on my doorstep. In all my excitement to come up with a fancy schmancy menu for the party, I had forgotten about an (expensive) certification test I was taking in just a few short days. Luckily, I can tell you all that I passed! ...And now back to my normal life.

While still coaching my parents on the wonders of uploading digital photography, I have just a few photos to share with you from the party. A coworker brought these yummy apps to a potluck and I immediately knew I wanted to make them for the party.

chicken tostada cups

In true Sharon style, I kept meticulous grocery list spreadsheets and a timed cooking schedule, but somehow forgot to buy the main ingredients for the base of these tostada cups - a guacamole-esque mixture. After at least 6 separate grocery trips in one week, I am not sure how this happened! Needless to say, I powered on and just made the chicken filling for the tortilla cups and topped them with a sprig of cilantro so they wouldn't look too plain. Since the party was an all-day affair, I also skipped the sour cream topping.

I heard these were yummy, but I never got a chance to try them! It's quite an easy, fancy looking recipe that everyone loved. The cups are made by baking flour tortillas in muffin cups for a few minutes in the oven and topped with a chipotle chicken filling. I found that these browned up very quickly so watch them!

Now that I have my life back, I hope to be posting much more often. I also owe you the winner of the reader recipe contest so stay tuned!!

Chicken Tostada Cups sans avocado
Adapted from Cuisine at Home

3 flour tortillas (8")
3/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (remove some of the seeds if you're a wuss like me!)
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (used combo of breast and thighs)
cilantro for topping
sour cream, if desired
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Coat both sides of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Stack the tortillas and cut into 8 wedges. Push the tortillas into muffin cups. Bake for about 5-6 minutes or until golden. Watch the tortillas carefully. Remove tortillas from oven and allow to cool slightly.

In a small saucepan, simmer ketchup, sugar, chipotles & adobo sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder, and chicken over medium heat. Cook until chicken mixture is syrupy.

Top each tortilla cup with chicken mixture. Top with a cilantro sprig and a touch of sour cream, if desired.

33 comments:

kat said...

I bet they were tasty just like that

noble pig said...

They look great. Glad the bash was a success. I love the way these look. I'm sure they were fine too w/out the avo. Glad you are back.

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious ! congratulations on passing the certification exam :)

Katie said...

You are a cooking artist!!

Dewi said...

Your tostada look insanely appetizing Sharon!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm hungry from only reading the ingredients! They are a great idea!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look so good!

Meghan said...

These are so cute! A perfect appetizer!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks gorgeous! I can have the whole plate!

Christina Kim said...

So smart to bake them in a muffin tin to get them into that shape! The chicken filling sounds delicious. And your photos are just gorgeous!

grace said...

it's a shame you didn't get to eat any of this terrific creation, but that's just a great excuse to make them again. :)

Leslie said...

you didnt get to try them??? shame on you!

Chef Fresco said...

Too many trips to the g-store... I feel your pain. These look fantastic though.

Esi said...

These are so cute for a party. Glad to see you back and congrats on passing your test!

Kerstin said...

What perfect little appetizers - they look so tasty and cute!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write said...

Congrats on passing your certification test! Your food is amazing!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful idea! I love that kind of scrumptious food!

Cheers,

Rosa

Laura said...

Yum they look delish! So sad you did not get to try them. And I always forget crucial ingredients for big events.

Emily said...

OH man! I can't believe you didn't get to try any of these cups! They look so good.

Unknown said...

wow, they sound great! glad your certification exam went well ;)

Sophie said...

Congrats on doing well on the test :). I'm sorry you didn't get to try these, they look scrumptious. Very pretty and tasty party food, for sure.

Stacey said...

wait, wait, WAIT... you did not try these??? That is just crazy! They look SO delicious, especially the tostada cups!

Congrats on passing your exam! Studying is a bitch, I bet you are happy to be done!

camille said...

These do look awesome just like that, although there's very little in this world that isn't improved by throwing some avocado on it...

Bunny said...

My life has been turned upside down for almost 2 weeks! Thankfully I'm back to blogging too! You know what these litlle tortilla cups are....FOOTBALL FOOD!!! I can't help it everytime I see something this good I think of football! LOL!!

Maria said...

Great appetizer!

The Blonde Duck said...

We should go swimming and eat these!

Larissa said...

Congratulations on passing your test!

Steph said...

These sound delish!

maris said...

These look fantastic! Good to have you back :)

Talita said...

Yumm... I love snacks like these! Looks so delish!

Jennifer said...

Man those look good! I must make them for my next party!

Melissa said...

Made Good Ol' Tuna Casserole from one of your April '09 posts. It was great. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I have made these multiple times, always a crowd pleaser... guac/sour cream mixture is a must!