Thursday, January 7, 2010

Asian Noodle Bowl with Chicken

The web seems to be full of healthy recipes, resolutions, and new starts these days. Though I personally haven't resolved to cook healthier in 2010, I have been quite obsessed with Ellie Krieger's new healthy cookbook. I believe this may be the third recipe of hers this week! Alas, all good things must come to an end as I also received a yet-to-be-used Fry Daddy for Christmas and must get this unhealthy new gadget to work.
Soba Noodle Bowl with VeggiesBefore I start frying everything in the kitchen, I'll leave you with this nice and healthy soba noodle bowl full of colorful veggies and lean chicken. Sadly I forgot my favorite quasi-veggie, the baby corn. I first decided to love baby corn as a child, mainly because it had the word 'baby' in the name. After all these years, the mini-me version of corn still makes me smile.


Asian Noodle BowlMoral of the story: don't forget your baby corn! Despite the missing ingredient, we greatly enjoyed this recipe. I added a little garlic rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper for good measure and think this was a good call. I also happened to use Polynesian marinated chicken breasts since they were on sale in the butcher case at Henry's. I'd say this is a pretty flexible recipe -- feel free to substitute meats and veggies as you please!

Healthy Asian Noodle Bowl
adapted from
So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
8 ounces soba noodles (my package was closer to 9.5 ounces)
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 bunch scallions
1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger
1 pound boneless skinlesss chicken breast, sliced thinly (lightly season with salt and pepper)
1 15 oz can baby corn, drained
1/2 pound broccoli florets
1/2 pound shiitake musrooms
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon roasted garlic rice wine vinegar (i used Nakano brand)
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the noodles and cook according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in a large wok over medium high heat. Add scallions and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the veggies, broth, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Cook until broccoli and peppers are crisp tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the noodles and sesame oil and toss to combine. Garnish with scallions if desired.

24 comments:

Katie said...

That looks so good! We also received a fry daddy for Christmas...and I didn't want one. Now Juan want's everything fried. I'm going to keep it in the box as long as possible.

kat said...

Yum, I love a meal like this despite the fact its healthy ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

proof that you can make something healthy and very tasty. nice! I should get that cookbook...

Pam said...

What a healthy and delicious dinner - my whole family would love this.

noble pig said...

I love satisfying dinners like these!

Leslie said...

Looks delish! I cant wait to see what you fry up in your Fry Daddy

pigpigscorner said...

Healthy and delicious! Nice clicks.

Melissa said...

So healthy! So, would fried broccoli and cauliflower be considered a healthy dish for the fry-daddy??? :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Light, tasty and so appetizing!

Cheers,

Rosa

grace said...

'tis a lovely and healthful dish, sharon, which is good because i'd likely follow it with a slab of carrot cake. i'm still in holiday mode. :)

Esi said...

I love this. So fresh and filling.

That Girl said...

I'm a huge Ellie Krieger fan!

Kerstin said...

Mmm, this looks great for when you're craving take out, but want something healthy!

Kana said...

This is such a delicious looking dish, Sharon!

La Bella Cooks said...

Who can resist a dinner that is healthy yet tastes wonderful? Your photo makes it all the more inviting. This sounds delicious.

MrOrph said...

another bowl of goodness. this (or my variation) is on the menu for this week!

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks good...even without the baby corn. Um, a fry daddy! YES! That's my kind of gift! Everything's better when it's fried - lol.

Bren said...

i likes i likes i likes. could get used to eating this very often a shed some pounds!

Kathleen said...

Yum! This sounds like perfect food for January!

small cabin plans said...

Asian food never fails to impress me when it comes to serving healthy foods and presenting it well.

Mary said...

Oh wow--this looks so amazing! And I adore Ellie Krieger--I don't have her second cookbook yet, but you've motivated me!

Charles said...

OMG, that is excellent!

Simply Life said...

i'm keeping this recipe and hope to use it soon!

deetha said...

enak....

:thumbsup: