Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jap Chae (Korean Glass Noodles)


As I've now already made this dish twice, I figured I should share with all of you. Do you ever find a food item that you just need? ...even if you've already made it the week before? For us that little something, that perfectly delicious discovery is dang myun, Korean glass noodles.

Not to be confused with the more common Chinese vermicelli or cellophane noodles, dang myun noodles are impossibly long and have a entirely different color (greyish) and feel. For those that are into textures, these are glassy, thick, chewy (but only in a good way), translucent and thus, the color that you want them to be. Plus, they soak up sauces and seasoning quite nicely. Google Korean markets in your neighborhood and you should be able to find them. If not, try ordering them online here.

For my vegan friends out there, these noodles are made solely out of sweet potato starch & water so they're both vegan friendly and gluten-free! This dish is versatile and allows you to use your favorite veggies, meats or tofu in the stirfry. The first time around, I used tri-colored bell peppers, cabbage and carrots for a vegetarian meal.

The second time around, I added broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, shrimp and tofu for something a little heartier. Either way, it's a delicious meal.


I used the recipe from the Culinary Institute of America's One Dish Meals as a rough guide. As all good Asian stirfries, measurements aren't exact and sometimes, the noodle dish doesn't turn out exactly the same the second or third time around. They do look different, huh? I blame the different brands of noodles I used. I suppose that's the beauty of cooking!

I'm submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by The Cooking Diva this week!

Jap Chae (Korean Stir Fry Glass Noodles) - vegetarian version
Adapted from One Dish Meals

1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
18 oz package of Dang Myun noodles (Korean clear glass noodles which are different from Chinese glass noodles)
3 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons sugar
canola oil
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup bell pepper sliced (red, yellow or green)
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup carrrot, julienned
salt, fresh ground pepper
4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1. Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of warm water. Allow to soften for about 20 minutes. Remove from liquid and cut off stems.

2. Cook noodles according to package directions. If said directions are in Korean, try this: boil a large pot of water and allow noodles to boil for approximately 5 minutes or until soft. You may need to cut them if they're too long. Drain and rinse with cool water.

3. Fry egg in a small omlette pan and cut into thin strips and set aside.

4. Combine scallions, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil,and sugar in a small bowl.

5. Heat canola oil in a large wok and fry the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and carrot and stir fry about 3 minutes. Add cabbage and continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add soy mixture and continue to toss vegetables.

6. Add noodles and stir fry until very hot. If noodles look pale or need more sauce, add soy sauce or fish sauce until taste is good. Add sliced eggs and toss. Serve hot.

23 comments:

Pam said...

Looks delicious. I love glass noodles. This dish looks so light but full of flavor.

Snooky doodle said...

these look really strange, I ve never seen them before. They look nice tough.

Big Boys Oven said...

yes you are right that this korean glass noodle is different from the chines one, I prefer the korean ones as it this thicker and crunchier.

MrOrph said...

These look good. We are just starting to experiment with Asian noodles and stir-frying. I'll have to try and find some.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I've already been intrigued by glass noodles - they made dishes look so elegant!! Are they gluten-free, by any chance??

Unknown said...

wowwww super healthy! i like mine hot and dark, baby! ;)

Maria said...

What a colorful dish. I enjoy glass noodles, I know I will love this!

kat said...

Hmmm, I've never had these before I wonder if there is a Korean market near me

Mandy said...

This is completely new to me. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot.

Esi said...

I love Jap Chae! Thanks for providing a really great recipe. I think I have some Korean glass noodles in the house so I will try this soon.

Anonymous said...

I love the glass noodles, they look so cool and Halloweeny...if you catch my drift. Thanks for the recipe.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks great. I love the glass type of noodles and didn't know they were made out of sweet potatoes.

Sharon said...

Pam - thanks! I do too and these are just so different!

snooky doodle - if you can find them, you should give them a try

big boys oven - Me, too. I like the Chinese ones for soup but these for stirfry

mrorph - Asian noodles are my new favorite thing to cook

veggiegirl -YES! They're gluten free! Just potato starch & water.

rita - you're always making me smile!

maria - definitely try to get your hands on some of these noodles!

kat - if there are any large Asian stores, they would probably carry some Korean items as well.

mandy - let me know if you try them out!

esi - hope you like them!

noble pig - haha :) Yes, they are Halloweeney

lisa - I believe the thinner ones are made out of rice flour and these are sweet potato flour. I had no idea either!

Laura said...

Yum I love glass noodles and I love Korean food in general. This looks great.

Leslie said...

Sharon, these noodles sound divine! I will have to keep an eye out for them !

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would for sure taste this twice because it looks so yummy.

Veronica said...

I've never tried glass noodles, but I am very intrigued. Looks like a healthy, tasty dish.

That Girl said...

I really need to experiment more with Korean food. It's a cuisine I'm not very experienced with.

Prudy said...

My sis in law is from Korea and she has my hooked on Korean noodles. YOur recipe sounds fantastic!

Jenny said...

Wow, this dish looks so pretty! I've never had glass noodles, but am dying to try them!

The Blonde Duck said...

I never heard of glass noodles. Cool!

Sophie said...

This is awesome! It's gluten free too! I need to get ahold of these noodles! :)

thefattyreader said...

I just made these last night for the first time (and just found your blog!) I love the texture, too. :)