Not to be completely boring, but here's another coconut & red curry dish paired with Lacinato kale. Of course, to keep you stimulated & interested I'm presenting the Man Food Mondays, version: beef short ribs slow cooked with tons of garlic & shallots, onions, coconut milk and red curry paste.
Believe it or not, this is the first time I've had ribs! OK...well I've had bites of someone else's ribs, but I've certainly never tackled a plate on my own. Part of my issue with ribs lies in the fact that I don't enjoy eating off of bones, regardless of the meat. Luckily, this recipe calls for shredding the meat and serving over rice. We used brown Basmati rice, which nicely soaked up the sauce.
Speaking of the sauce, when all was said and done, the meat looked a little dry & we are definitely sauce lovers so I added extra coconut milk & red curry paste to moisten things up a bit and give the meat an extra zing.
The next day we made beef sammies...oh my. Yum! Maybe I do like ribs after all.
Curry Beef Short Ribs
Adapted from Cooking Light
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/3 cup minced shallots
1/4 cup chopped onions
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons red curry paste, divided
1/2 cup light coconut milk, divided
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 cups hot cooked basmati rice (we used brown Basmati)
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add half of ribs to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in an electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.
2. Add shallots, onion, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons of red curry paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 cup coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours (depends on your slow cooker. Ours is turbo speed!)
3. Remove ribs from cooker. Strain cooking liquid through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Place a large ziploc bag inside a bowl or measuring cup. Pour cooking liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top).
4. Seal bag; carefully snip off a small bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Stir 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, rind, and juice into liquid. Add liquid back to slow cooker and turn on "keep warm" setting.
5. Shred rib meat with 2 forks; discard bones. Add meat back to slow cooker & stir to combine with liquid.
6. In a small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon red curry paste & 1/4 cup coconut milk until combined. Pour over meat and stir. Keep in slow cooker on "keep warm" until ready to serve. Serve meat and sauce over Basmati rice.