Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black and Tan Guinness Brownies

I have a Thursday confession for y'all. I just don't LOVE brownies. Now that's not to say I won't eat them. I just can't eat a lot of brownie, and perhaps it has to do with the fact that I sneeze profusely on each first bite of strong chocolate. Does that mean I'm allergic? Because if so, let's just pretend like nothing ever happened.

Black and Tan Guinness Brownies

Well, when I first saw this recipe, I couldn't help but feel intrigued. For starters, Guinness in dessert adds a whole new dimension of deliciousness.  To top it all off, this looks like a brownie on top of a blondie. Just like mini versions of food, there's just something cute about combining two desserts and making them sit on each other.  Why, you ask?  I don't know.  Just try it.

Black and Tan Guinness Brownies

The brownie-blondie combo worked well for me - so well, in fact that I dont think I sneezed even once while eating these. If you're a fan of the uber rich chocolately chocolate brownie, this may not be your favorite, but these tasted light enough that I could not just stop at one. Now, is that a good thing or a bad thing? :)  My brownies are a little on the gooey side, but that's how hubby likes them.  If you're more of a well-done brownie connoisseur some extra oven time might do you good.

Black and Tan Brownies
Tan brownies:
6 tablespoons butter,softened at room temp
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Cooking spray

Black brownies
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Guinness Stout
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Place one rack in lower third of oven; place another rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare Tan Brownies, place 6 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces (about 1 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Add flour mixture and pecans to sugar mixture, beating just until combined. Spoon into a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray, spreading evenly with a knife or rubber spatula (mixture will be thick). Bake at 350° in lower third of oven for 15 minutes.

3. To prepare Black Brownies, melt chocolate and 4 tablespoons butter in a large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring after every 20 seconds until smooth. Add granulated sugar, stirring until well combined. Add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and Guinness, stirring with a whisk until well combined. Weigh or lightly spoon 4.5 ounces (about 1 cup) flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 4.5 ounces flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring to combine. Pour mixture evenly over Tan Brownies.

4. Bake on the center rack at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack; cut into squares.

Source: Cooking Light, March 2010

13 comments:

Esi said...

I'll email you my address and you can send me some if these make you sneeze too much!

Snooky doodle said...

what an interesting recipe! looks so good. I like fudgey brownies

La Bella Cooks said...

This is one of the more inspiring brownies recipes I have come across in a long time. These might change my mind as well. Yummy!

kat said...

A great take on brownies, I'm like you & can take them or leave them but the hubs loves brownies.

Leslie said...

chocolate makes you sneeze?? Bizarre!

Joanne said...

I have to say, I'm not the biggest brownie fan either. I usually only make them on request. But blondies - I love. Especially gooey ones. Love this!

grace said...

what an odd quirk! i don't get too excited about plain ol' brownies, but if there's mint or peanut butter or cream cheese or BEER, it's a different story. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

They're so cool looking!

Kerstin said...

What unique brownies - love them!

Sasha said...

What an interesting recipe, I love it!

pigpigscorner said...

Chocolate's worth the sneeze I say. This is very creative!

daphne said...

haha but what i like about this is the NAME It self! How cool is it. And it is a good looking brownie i have to say!

Lori said...

Wow!! I can't wait to make these!! I'm living in Egypt right now and I don't think I can get guiness, but I'll see what I can do to adapt it.

Thanks!!

Lori
http://cooktravelwritelearn.blogspot.com