Monday, March 16, 2009

MFM: Curry Beef Short Ribs

Not to be completely boring, but here's another coconut & red curry dish paired with Lacinato kale. Of course, to keep you stimulated & interested I'm presenting the Man Food Mondays, version: beef short ribs slow cooked with tons of garlic & shallots, onions, coconut milk and red curry paste.

Coconut Curry Beef Short RibsBelieve it or not, this is the first time I've had ribs! OK...well I've had bites of someone else's ribs, but I've certainly never tackled a plate on my own. Part of my issue with ribs lies in the fact that I don't enjoy eating off of bones, regardless of the meat. Luckily, this recipe calls for shredding the meat and serving over rice. We used brown Basmati rice, which nicely soaked up the sauce.

Curry Beef Short RibsSpeaking of the sauce, when all was said and done, the meat looked a little dry & we are definitely sauce lovers so I added extra coconut milk & red curry paste to moisten things up a bit and give the meat an extra zing.

The next day we made beef sammies...oh my. Yum! Maybe I do like ribs after all.

Curry Beef Short Ribs
Adapted from Cooking Light

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/3 cup minced shallots
1/4 cup chopped onions
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons red curry paste, divided
1/2 cup light coconut milk, divided
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 cups hot cooked basmati rice (we used brown Basmati)

Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add half of ribs to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in an electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.

2. Add shallots, onion, garlic, and ginger to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons of red curry paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 cup coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours (depends on your slow cooker. Ours is turbo speed!)

3. Remove ribs from cooker. Strain cooking liquid through a colander over a bowl; discard solids. Place a large ziploc bag inside a bowl or measuring cup. Pour cooking liquid into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top).

4. Seal bag; carefully snip off a small bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Stir 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, rind, and juice into liquid. Add liquid back to slow cooker and turn on "keep warm" setting.

5. Shred rib meat with 2 forks; discard bones. Add meat back to slow cooker & stir to combine with liquid.

6. In a small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon red curry paste & 1/4 cup coconut milk until combined. Pour over meat and stir. Keep in slow cooker on "keep warm" until ready to serve. Serve meat and sauce over Basmati rice.

20 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

Looks so good! My fiance would love this!

Anonymous said...

What a great recipe for the slow cooker. I'm always looking for ways to get more use out of ours.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Keep the curry dishes coming!! Love that spice.

Anonymous said...

Haha - your slow cooker is turbo speed? :) Just thought that was funny. This looks delicious and making sandwiches the next day with the leftovers sound great.

Thanks for the good wishes. :) Hope you're having a lovely week as well.

Meghan said...

Man Food Monday - love it! I really need to make my man meat other than chicken. I love all the flavors in this dish - red curry, coconut milk, basmati. mmm

Sophie said...

No no no, your food is never boring! Glad you finally got to try ribs, they are mighty tasty, especially these! I've only made them with boring bbq sauce, this sounds more exciting-I bet they are so aromatic!

Pam said...

What a delicious meal. I've never cooked with short ribs but I will be trying them soon.

Dewi said...

Utterly irresistible Sharon.
Cheers,
elra

grace said...

this is extremely appropriate for your mfm. i know this because a similar version is the most-requested dish amongst the men in my family. :)

MaryBeth said...

My husband want to know if it would be okay if he came to dinner...fabulous job Sharon!!!

Anonymous said...

you are a divine person for sharing this. will make in my pressure cooker! :)

Esi said...

I have never been much of a rib person either (messy, lol), but if you can have awesome sandwiches with the leftovers, I'm on board!

Jennifer said...

My gosh that looks YUMMY!

Maria said...

Don't do ribs, but I love my curry:)

Anonymous said...

Oh this food my man would love.

BrittWilk said...

i don't think it's boring - i love curry and coconut milk, although my hubby is battling me on my using "light" coconut milk. :) hehe.

Laura said...

Mmmmm... this looks great. I love all braised beef dishes.

Elyse said...

Wow! I don't usually eat ribs because of the bone, too!! I'm so glad this recipe has the meat shredded because I know how delicious rib meat is! (And boy, does your meat look delicious, or what!)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm I love braised dishes like this where the meat just falls apart. I've never thought about currying short ribs though. Definitely something I'm going to have to try.

Anonymous said...

I love my slow cooker.. and i happen to have short ribs in the freezer.
Wonderfully seasoned :)