Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Coconut Banana Bread with a Boozy Twist

coconut banana breadSome days I wonder if my sweet tooth mysteriously disappeared, would I become a supermodel?? OK, ok. I'd have to grow about a foot, get a few tweaks here and there, find myself a new hairdo, but seriously...I live to eat dessert. Case in point - tonight I decided a slow leisurely jog would be best because of the hot temps. Upon arriving home a hot & sweaty mess, I decided it'd only be appropriate to satiate myself with a huge slice of Coconut Banana Bread. Do you think the slow jog canceled out the bread? Fat chance (no pun intended)!


coconut banana bread
Lucky for me, this bread is based on a Cooking Light recipe so all is not lost! I've made Coconut Banana Bread before, last time using coconut milk but no real coconut. This time, I decided to shake things up. With 3 bananas and lots of shredded coconut, this one is so full of flavor and quite tropical. You wouldn't even guess what kind of booze I snuck in there. It works, I promise.

I say if we can't be supermodels, eat bread baked with booze! :)

Coconut Banana Bread
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar (use baker's sugar if possible)
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
3 mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
3 tablespoons Kentucky Whiskey (can use dark rum)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut + 1 tbsp coconut, divided
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk.

3. Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. Add banana, yogurt, whiskey, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in shredded coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.

5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.

32 comments:

kat said...

Oh, a slow jog totally cancelled out a slice of this

Melissa said...

Wow! This looks so good! And once again thank you for the cookbook, it is awesome!

What if I just take a brisk walk after eating this???

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That smooth bread looks delicious! A great choice of flavors! yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

grace said...

well, two sure-fire ways to improve banana bread are to add coconut and booze. so bravo to you, sharon, bravo. and you can go ahead and give up on getting rid of that sweet tooth—it’s futile. :)

Sophie said...

Oooh yum! Bet it tastes like a warm sunny day! You've got such a lovely face, go out there and represent us petite gals with a sweet tooth in the modeling world :D!

The Blonde Duck said...

You can always jog, but can you always eat dessert?


Sure! :)

Unknown said...

I would do anything for aslice of this with my coffee right now!

Unknown said...

this sounds delicious!

Aggie said...

Oh this is my kind of treat!! Sounds awesome and bonus that it's cooking light!

Anshika said...

I bet it must be smelling so good as tasty as it is looking.

Maria said...

I am always looking for new banana recipes! This one looks amazing!

She-Fit said...

YUM! This sound delicious

Mary Ann said...

This is my all-time favorite banana bread! I make it all the time. I love your version!

Erica said...

mmm I've made coconut banana bread before and it is JAMMIN! Love the addition of the booze too. Enjoy your weekend!

La Bella Cooks said...

I definitely love this version with the booze!

diva said...

booze booze booze!! lovely recipe :) coconut and banana are quite the match. i wonder the same thing too. if my love for sweet stuff and anything alcoholic disappeared, could i be a supermodel too??? x

Karine said...

This looks yummy! A great way to play with the standard banana bread :)

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

I was intrigued with your boozy twist and I found out it was whiskey! It's like an upscale banana bread. A great way to add some oomph

Mama Mia said...

a boozy twist makes everything better. My hubby loves coconut!

Emily said...

OH man, I love this recipe. Banana and coconut are my faavorite flavors!

Dee said...

mmm that bread looks soooo delish! moist and yummy! i will have to give it a try sometime.

btw, i just came accross your blog today :) looks like you have a lot of fun cooking, thats what i like to see! :D

have a great day

Eielofview said...

I doubt you could take a slow jog or a brisk walk after.. better to do it before while its baking! Also do you think Coconut rum would be a good substitute for the Whiskey?

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks great and I have lots of rotting bananas now that are in desperate need of a new banana bread recipe! Great timing!

Bunny said...

I love your way of thinking Sharon! LOL!!! This looks fantastic, supermodels should be jealous, very jealous that they can't eat this!

Sharon said...

Eielofview, yes, coconut rum would be yummy. I actually would've used it but we were all out..hence the whiskey :)

Unknown said...

hohoho! i love the boozy addition to this. i shall try this (the bread not the jog HAHAHA)

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Wow the addition of the whiskey really puts this over the top!

Jeff said...

I love love love whiskey so by default I have to love this bread.

Plus hello coconut really can you go wrong?

We were having this discussion last week do you normally just use cups versus weight? I have been using weight but the bread we did with cups seemed to come together a lot quicker.

Juliana said...

Love the addition of whiskey, I am sure that give the banana bread an extra special flavor...yummie!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh I do love you for adding some booze. what a clever little jogger you are. crazy-good!

Justin said...

whiskey is definitely what my banana bread has been missing all these years

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.