Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Soft Potato Quick Rolls

After consecutive days of being unable to breathe due to an unfortunate constriction in my waistband, I began to seriously second guess my holiday gluttony. I love my family but more importantly, my family loves to eat. After a yummy Thanksgiving feast and days of shuttling my parents around to each of our favorite restaurants in town, things were surely getting a little tight. Luckily, I awoke this morning to discover that my pants had finally granted me a freebie by stretching out so I can resume eating leftovers. {{sigh of relief}}.

Soft Quick Dinner Rolls
Last night hubby and I desperately wanted turkey sandwiches but could not subject ourselves to a 10th grocery store trip in a week. I scoured the internet for a quick sandwich roll recipe and found several using a common theme of potato flakes, onion powder, yeast and a muffin tin. With a total rise time of about 50 minutes (split between two sessions), these rolls were ready right before bed time, a perfect time to gorge on bread, dont you think?

I must say i'm desperately in love with this easy recipe. I added Parmesan cheese, used roasted garlic potato flakes and threw in a little extra sugar. Next time, I may try adding real garlic and some cheese. The possibilities are endless!

Soft Potato Quick Rolls
adapted from Allrecipes and King Arthur's Flour

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup dry roasted garlic potato flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour


In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and stir. Add potato flakes, salt, egg, oil, onion powder, cheese and 1 cup of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour. Continue stirring until smooth, scraping batter from sides of bowl.

Cover and let dough rise in warm place until doubled, about 20 to 30 minutes. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.

Once risen, punch down dough. Spoon dough evenly into greased muffin cups. Let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, or about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Bake for 15 minutes.

9 comments:

grace said...

i only recently caught my breath as well, but then again, i never really slowed down. :)
these pillowy rolls look so light and fluffy and would make a fantastic vehicle for butter and jelly, among other things!

Mona said...

Those rolls look really good!
Way to work with what you had haha. I too would do anything to make the day after thanksgiving leftover sandwich!

tigerfish said...

I can imagine these warm rolls just out of the oven. I want some!

Kerstin said...

What a unique roll recipe! I like your addition of parm cheese!

Bunny said...

Oh be still my heart, there ain't nothin like a good potato roll!! These look PERFECT!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm going to make these for Ben tonight. He's been dying for white fluffy rolls!

pigpigscorner said...

Great looking rolls! Have to try this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa @BakingfortheBoys said...

I was second guessing my holiday gluttony as well. Girl....adding that parm! You are a girl after my own heart!